iLearn Faculty Checklist: Beginning of Semester
iLearn Faculty Checklist: Common start of the semester tasks for faculty using iLearn.
- Review iLearn technical recommendations and system updates on AT Central. Subscribe to receive alerts via email, RSS or twitter.
Log in and verify that all your courses for the semester are listed in the My Courses block. iLearn course shells are automatically generated three(3) weeks prior to the start of every semester.
Edit your iLearn profile and update your personal settings.
Combine course sections and enrollments for cross-listed courses (if appropriate).
- Import (or Backup/Restore) any previous course content into the new semester’s iLearn course shell.
- Make your iLearn course available to students (https://quickguides.calstate.edu/sfstate/quickguides/view/219) Note: Students cannot access a course until you make it available for them.
- Check the course participants list (enrollment) and verify that all students have an e-mail address. Note: Students are enrolled automatically 24 hours after they have registered for the course.
- Update and post a syllabus or other resource.
- Update due dates of activities such as assignments and quizzes and check for outdated or broken resource links, such as links to expired articles or a digital files.
- Review the Course Accessibility Checklist. The Course Accessibility Checklist highlights essential areas for preparing a course for everyone to succeed, regardless of disability.
- Add your Teaching Assistants to your iLearn course(s).
- Refer students to the following resources:
- Email students a welcome message via iLearn (https://quickguides.calstate.edu/sfstate/quickguides/view/178)
- Archive(.zip) and save old courses to your personal computer or storage device. It is important to keep a backup for your own records as old courses are retired routinely from the system once new shells are introduced for upcoming semesters.
- Review the iLearn QuickGuides (https://quickguides.calstate.edu/sfstate/quickguides/search/instructor) for information on setting up your online course or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about training and support options.